My Hokkaido Journey: Wack Snow

Ohayou gozaimasu!

The moment i saw snow from the plane, i couldn't believe my eyes; i pinched myself. As the buckle sign was turned off, i quickly unfastened my seat belt, strapped my backpack on and stepped out to breathe in the wintry air of Hokkaido, the northernmost island of Japan.

The cold never bothered me anyway... 
...but the wind does.

***

My excitement came late. Granted the vacation days and the opportunity, i joined my family on a tour with Apple. Although not my usual travel style, it felt good to be pampered and to let someone else arrange the travel (i realized later that i may not be able to experience what i experienced if i didn't follow this tour). Needless to say, i was pleased with Apple and henceforth recommend this. Nevertheless, just a few days prior, i did my research and prepared a food list. A list i wrote in my notebook, kept in my backpack, and marked done as the journey progressed; side by side the tailored itinerary by Apple.

***

We flew on a chartered flight with Malaysia Airlines and arrived at dusk at the New Chitose Airport almost eight hours after departure. Hokkaido is an hour ahead of KL. The currency is Yen. The language is Japanese and in some areas, Russian language was seen to be used due to its close proximity to Russia. As it was winter, it got dark by 5pm and weather temperature then varied from 1 to 5 degree Celsius in the day, as low as -2 degree Celsius at night. Bring sufficient winter wear and remember to stay hydrated despite the cold.

"Life is like a falling bloomed sakura flower; enjoy the moment while it lasts," our tour guide shared. Instead of writing chronologically, i will write moments of this journey in three parts. In a gist, we covered Rusutsu, Noboribetsu, Sapporo, Otaru and a few others along the way, in the central region of the island.

Rusutsu Ski Resort
This is my first experience at a ski resort and i was truly captivated (i had the setting of The Shining in my mind but all was gone when i was mesmerized) by the night lights against the snow-filled surrounding. Part of the interior of the ski resort reminded me of Genting Highlands. We had a scrumptious buffet dinner at Oktoberfest before donning our winter wear to play with the famous powder snow.

Red king crabs- we swarmed the crab section as Hokkaido is notable for its seafood, especially crabs.

My favourite at the dinner: salted salmon roe. I took ladle-fulls of them on my plate and ate as were. Salted to my liking, each burst with flavours in my mouth. Then i felt guilty.

Scissors to cut the crab open.

A walk to remember.

A sight to behold.

We spent a night at the ski resort; tired as i may, we didn't want to sleep early.

Japan toilets have been impressive to all over the world and i can tell why: clean with heated seat, bidet and spray, 'music' cushion and innovative flush-sink system.

Walking next to shoved snow to the Seicomart across the resort.

The next morning, after breakfast, came one of the highlights: skiing. We gathered at the locker room to collect our ski gears and later attended an introductory session on how to carry and put on/off the equipment. We went outside; my heart pumped with adrenaline as we carried the heavy gears up a slope. "Now, put them on," our guide announced at the top of the slope- i was beaming with excitement.

Getting my gears on in the locker room.

View at the top of slope.

It was not uncommon to fall so i practised on how to fall properly, an emergency brake as i yet knew how to stop, without knocking onto people at the foot of the slope. Once, i fell submerged in the powder snow; i got back up and dusted off. Then i moved on to learn to maneuver and i skied my way, left and right, down the slope without falling, without knocking onto people, and without fear.

Crowded near foot of slope; options were to wait for them to move or to maneuver, i chose the latter when i gained confidence. 

Here i go!

After a few trials, i skied down and stopped, followed by an applause from the crowd. Sorry, i just had to boast being an amateur.

I would like to spend more time skiing or lingering at the ski resort but we had to leave.

Just to try sliding down snow. It could actually go quite fast.

Okurayama Ski Jump Stadium
Talking about ski, on one of the days when we stayed near Sapporo, we visited this Stadium that held the Winter Olympics in 1972.

View from the bottom.

We went up to the Viewing Lounge via a five-minute ski lift ride; our feet dangling in the air with only a bar to hold us back. As soon as it reached the platform, i lifted the bar over my head and sprinted across to the side. The lift doesn't stop. It was cute when i saw others doing just the same.

Few feet off the ground.

At the Lounge, we had the panoramic view of the Sapporo city and the start line ski jumpers stand before taking off, down the steep slope. Really. Steep. Slope.

Looking for Snow White in the city.

Imagine standing here- will you go?

Snowmobile 
Another activity we did with the snow was snowmobile convoy. Upon arriving at the base, we put on our helmets and gathered for a briefing. Rules were mentioned clearly and as safety is top priority (for the Japanese and everyone else), any breach of the rules may lead to discontinuation from the convoy. I tightened my helmet and dropped the visor, eagerly waiting for the guide to start my engine. As soon as it came alive, i drove off, in a James Bond style.

On my snowmobile.

One of the rules was to not stop during the convoy so i couldn't take pictures along the way. The ride was rather bumpy but the scenery was amazing. Riding through the snow-filled forest was just how i imagined it to be, but not the scenery. The splendid view at the top was ice cream to my waffle!

Simply breathtaking!

Clouds across Mount Yotei, also known as Ezo Fuji- Ezo is the old name of Hokkaido and the mount resembled Mount Fuji.

Riding near the edge.

White as snow; although i did not see it snow (falling snow), looking at it along the way, stepping on it and playing with it, felt magical enough and i am truly grateful for being there.

Majestic view along the way to Otaru.

A scenic corner of the Asari Dam.

Snow atop stones in river- the most adorable sight!

Don't you agree?

My Hokkaido Journey: Wack Snow
My Hokkaido Journey: Naked.
My Hokkaido Journey: A Moment Like This

Comments