My Abu Dhabi Journey: Sand and Speed

When i knew i was going to Abu Dhabi, i created a mental list of things to see/do, and apart from those in The Grand and The Beautiful, i wanted to see and experience for myself before i leave the city. In many ways, i am grateful to be given the opportunities to fulfill them.

Etihad Towers
Made even more popular with the Fast and Furious 7's cars-don't-fly scene, i was terribly excited when i saw these towers before my eyes. I first saw it on my first day in the city, went up with my friends with the Big Bus tour and when i visited the Emirates Palace Hotel. Yes, i am never bored looking at these towers.

Taken from the Emirates Palace Hotel.

At the Observation Deck at 300 of the tower, overlooking the city a-la-milionaire. As we had the Big bus tour, we went up with a promotional rate. However, if you don't, you could pay the full price that comes with voucher to be spent at the cafe at the deck. Honestly, i prefer the latter as although it was pricier, the experience to dine up in the deck at 74 floors, will outweigh the cost saving benefit. I envied those taking a bite on the comfy sofa. I just sat on the comfy sofa.

Ferrari World
After class one day, we went to the Ferrari World. There is the full price day ticket but like us, we went after 6pm and the price of ticket was greatly reduced. The catch was it was only for 2 hours as the theme park closes at 8pm. It may seem short but sufficient; the worthy ride is:

The Formula Rossa, the world's fastest roller coaster. It accelerates to 240km/h in 5 seconds, with 4.8G.

The ride is so fast you need to wear protection glasses. I sat this ride three times. Yes, three times. We enjoyed the ride tremendously and went for the second. Then we left for another ride. I told the group to go ahead with the next ride as i was already feeling nauseated. I went to toilet and when i was feeling better, i returned to Formula Rossa as i thought they'd gone for this one last time. I walked all the way in and i thought they might still be on it. So i waited and when the coaster returned, my friends were not on it. The person in charge called me to join the coaster as it will be the last ride of the day; there was a group but they needed to fill the remaining seats before it could do. Reluctantly (or happily), i took it for the third spin!

As a Ferrari theme park, expect lots of Ferrari products. Do visit the Ferrari store too.

Yas Mall
My favourite mall in Abu Dhabi is this mall. I like it for the design and layout, the shops and restaurants.

Container sealed food and drinks at Rogo's, a roller coaster restaurant. I saw this restaurant concept on the TV and when i found out that there is one here, i wanted to try.

Roller coaster tracks. The food and drinks are served on them, after spiraling, twisting and turning to get to the tables.

A cheesecake fan's paradise. The array of cheesecake here made me an indecisive man. I could eat a slice for days.


Desert
A trip to UAE will be incomplete without a trip to the sands. My friends and i gathered then were brought to a desert camp outside Abu Dhabi, almost an hour bus ride away.

Being in the desert is a magnificent feeling. The experience, just sand all around, was truly memorable.

Standing at one of the dune's summit. I wanted to sand board down but the friction was too strong; i saw my friend bounced her way down.

Say desert and camels come to mind. This camel stubbornly sat. Remember to hold on tight.
We rented an ATV and rode around the dunes for 15 minutes.

Donning the traditional outfit at the camp.

Just before the day ended, there was a falcon show (that included feeding it with another smaller bird). Here is me with the falcon- we have a connection. After a dinner under the star-filled night, a documentary of the life in the UAE in the past was shown. Then, we were on our way back to Abu Dhabi.

Despite the stress in training, my journey here was nothing short of spectacular. I did not stay in the city to elaborate much on the city life but from my visits, the city has its fair blend of excitement, never lacking to impress. The experiences that came along with this, the weekend getaway to Dubai and the day trip at the desert, are forever imbedded in memory. I went, i saw, i learned.

Comments