My Labuan Journey: A Little More Of Town Too

I wrote about Labuan in a previous post entitled 'A Little More Of Town' and am back for more exciting adventures with this post. I took the opportunity to travel outside the Labuan town to explore the nearby islands (i now know that the Federal Territory consists of several islands and Labuan Island is the biggest of them) while immersing myself in history.


The Chimney and Chimney Museum
One of the iconic landmarks of Labuan is the mysterious Chimney at Tanjung Kubong. Mysterious because the purpose of the Chimney remains unknown. Some claimed it to be a ventilation shaft, an unfinished mansion, or even a lighthouse. Adjacent to the Chimney is a museum with fitting purpose; it showcased the coal mining history on the island and included other related displays. Entrance is free.

The museum with the...

... mysterious chimney.

Labuan Bird Park
Located just across the Chimney Museum is the Labuan Bird Park. With three connecting domes for a walk-in aviary (the aviary always remind me of Jurassic Park/World), there are some interesting birds in the aviary and around the Park. However, the Park looked old and under-maintained. Entrance fee is RM 3 per adult. My favourite section of the Park is the hornbill section.

The domes.

Getting that drop of water.

Some interesting birds seen in the Park. I'm usually not afraid of birds but when i saw the one on the right coming towards me, i decided to walk the other way.

Beaches
I was surprised to find out that there are numerous public beaches on the island, gazetted as Labuan United Nations 2008 Beach. Stretched across on the west side, my preferred beach is the Layang-Layangan Beach. I was there on a breezy, busy Sunday evening to watch the sunset. The beaches are ideal spots for picnic or evening gatherings especially with shady trees and mini-huts around.

Along the coastal road...

... through villages, notice the statues match their names.

The list.

A spot to chill?

Sunset by the beach.

Envying this kid flying his kite.

What flies a kite?

Worthy of mention is this satay stall Gerai 1 at the Medan Selera next to the beach. The chicken meat was well flavoured and the kuah kacang was yummy. I emptied my bowl.

Peace Park
Located close to the Layang-Layangan Beach, this Park was built by the Japanese to redeem themselves for their past and serves as a vital bond between Japan and Malaysia. It is not easy to miss the mound with a plaque, symbolizing the renunciation of war.

Peace is truly the best.

Surrender Point
Near the Peace Park is where the Japanese officially surrendered their ruling to the Australian in charge; hence the name of place.

Historic place indeed.

Labuan Marine Park
To be honest, i was unfamiliar with the Marine Park until i Googled for things to do on the island- even when i talked to my local friends, the names of the islands surprised them: Pulau Kuraman (Island), Pulau Rusukan Besar (Island) and Pulau Rusukan Kecil (Island). I set Kuraman Island as my target. With not much information on the Internet, i assumed that it would be possible for me to go to the jetty and board a boat to the island, like how i did in Krabi or KK. Unfortunately, it doesn't work here- the jetty is for places such as Brunei, KK or Menumbuk, so i had to devise another way there. I phoned the Labuan Tourism Center and she gave me two contacts. One was Emma Glorious Tours and Travel and she quoted me RM 150 (promotional rate) which included a return boat trip, lunch and snorkeling. She told me that they only do Rusukan Besar Island. I got more than what i paid for and i was incredibly pleased, even with a sun-kissed skin, at the end of the day.

Black rocks adorned the beach.

I followed the second boat trip (with our lunch) to Rusukan Besar Island and joined a group who was already snorkeling. I got my gears and trailed behind a guide who then snorkeled with me. I have to admit, although i was without my glasses, the water was clear, the reefs looked healthy and alive, and the fishes seemed to welcome my presence in the water. The guide piqued my interest by saying that there is a 'Nemo' (clown fish) the size of a palm. I was quite in disbelief and he brought me to its coral home. I saw it with my own eyes, the palm-sized 'Nemo' protecting its home as the guide drew it out.

Palm size seashell along the beach. But remember, "take nothing but memory".

Our guide broke us the news that he'd like to bring us to the other nearby islands; i was excited because i could finally visit Kuraman Island as i originally desired. We had lunch, took our gears and with life jackets on, climbed onto the boat. We visited Kuraman Island first and i was quickly mesmerized by the beauty of the island. We wanted to walk to the lighthouse on the island but as it was farther in, the group decided to linger near the beach.

Flowers on Kuraman Island, near the sand spit. Pretty sight.

We climbed onto the boat again and left for Rusukan Kecil Island. It is a small island but it has a snorkeling area off the beach. We came off and gathered for a quick briefing. The guide mentioned about the change in tide so there will be some resistance and told us to stay away from the rocks (the current can push us against the rocks). The resistance was too much for me; i swam and swam but i wasn't moving. I surrendered and called the guide to pull me. When we arrived at the snorkeling area, visibility was low. The guide called off the snorkeling; we climbed onto the boat and sailed to the middle of the sea for our next snorkeling site. Jumping into the water was pretty fun and as it was deeper than the earlier sites, the fishes here were bigger. The visibility wasn't as clear as in the morning but still, the reefs and fishes looked healthy.

We returned to Rusukan Besar Island and the guide asked me if i wanted to walk around the island. Walk around the island- that'd be a first for me; we circled the island on foot. He even said that there is a shark point- what reason not to go? I could even see Brunei from here.

Pristine bay.



More scenic sights of black rocks, sand, sea and sky. Close-by here is the shark point.


This peculiar looking fruit caught my attention. It took me a while to discover what this is- hala fruit.


Another interesting spot on the island is a turtle hatchery,

I left to Labuan, feeling more than satisfied for the day's trip. Frankly, i prefer the islands here compared to those nearby KK. In my mind, with the oil rigs and vessels docked close by, i didn't expect to see such natural beauty, but i did. Untouched and unaffected by tourism, i hope this gem will continue to be preserved.

Thinking far and wide.

Night Clubs
I will always remember my experience at the night clubs- night clubs/plural because we club hopped, til the wee hours of the morning. We visited four: Tonight, Havoc, Beyond (town center where most clubs are) and Galaxy (in Utama Jaya area). Frankly, i am a clubbing-baby and four night clubs with a few rounds of drinks in one night were too much for me. Nevertheless, i enjoyed Havoc because of the live band; it had the best sound system too.

We started early; that's when we got to enjoy the slow music. However, as the night grew late, the crowd came in, flooding the dance floor. At one point when i was dancing in the crowd, a thick white smoke fogged my vision. I saw nothing but whiteness. And in another, i was standing close to an almost brawl (the bouncers got there in time and brought them out).

I'm going to stop here about my experience of the night/morning, otherwise the content will be inappropriate. Anyhow, i was unharmed, had McD for late supper/early breakfast and slept in my bed.

Perdana Cineplex
I knew about this one-hall cineplex and i couldn't not try. The seats are on the same level except for the last few rows. So if it is a crowded showing, expect to see heads instead of the subtitles. Definitely a new movie experience for me. It does play pretty current movies.


An-Nur Jamek Mosque
Also known as the Labuan State Mosque. I had a rather funny encounter here with a local. He asked why am i visiting the mosque here when there are mosques in KL. I mentioned to him the reason i came to visit this mosque was for the futuristic, space-like architecture and it's distinct colour.

Don't you agree? 

Labuan Botanical Garden
Here used to be the Government House but was destroyed entirely during the World War 2 period; locally known as 'Bumbung 12'. I jogged from my place of stay to here, and continued along its path.

Bridge over water.

Rich pink hibiscus.


Look for the tree-house too!

Cycling
Apparently, cycling is a thing here and i had this idea to cycle around Labuan Island (around meaning entirely here). However, since i realized how hilly some areas could be and how unprepared i was, i decided to give this a pass. That did not stop me from pursuing to cycle around (around meaning a few places here). I knew i could rent a bicycle at the jetty so i walked there after breakfast, only to find that the bicycles had been relocated to the International Sea Sports Complex for the day- give them a call a day in advance so you know where to get your bicycle. I walked to the Complex, got a bicycle and a head gear, and set my destination, not too far away.

With my gears on.


Cycling away through this avenue.

War Memorial Park
Rated as the Number 1 place on TripAdvisor in Labuan, i cycled here. The cemetery is well kept. Each plaque is beautifully written a message from loved ones; between them flowers. Be respectful.


Solemn but peaceful atmosphere.

Ban Sian Miau, Chinese Temple
I discovered this relatively new Chinese temple on my way to the jetty for the island hopping/snorkeling trip. The interesting thing is it mainly has three halls: the main hall, the Hell hall and the Heaven hall. To get to the Hell hall, descend the stairs and go through the thick curtains. I dare not enter further. I looked from the 'door' as i was alone. The hall was dark and it smelled of Chinese incense.

The temple.

This was it.
 
I asked the caretaker of the temple on how to get to the Heaven hall, with my poor Mandarin. She told me to use the elevator behind and press level 3. I followed her instructions and soon, i was there.

Mural on tiles.

The elevator. You don't usually find this in temples.

Intricate column and wall.

Many lanterns occupy the ceiling.

Some Restaurants/Cafe:
And now to fill the tummy...

The Chillout Cafe
Hipster cafe in Labuan? Here you go! Gourmet coffee, yummy meals and irresistible desserts, i truly enjoyed this diner and certainly a place to chill out.

Dynamite coffee blows!

   
Desserts were amazing! The chocolate lava (R) was delicious and the churros (L) were crispy on the outside, gooey on the inside. No wonder these are their top 2 desserts.

Apple caramel waffle was okay (compared to the other 2 desserts).

Pesto mixed pasta was delectable.

Twinkle Like Cafe
A cozy cafe serving local and Western meals, i frequented this eatery.

Mongolian chicken- i don't find this in the Peninsular, and it's yummy.


Nestum chicken was okay.

You must think of me as a sweet-tooth now.

Loong Fish Head Soup Noodle
I had to wake up earlier if i was to have breakfast here (due to my work schedule), but it was worth it. The noodles were ordinary but the fried fish meat/slices and the soup were delectable. I tried the fish maw and fish paste too, but the fried fish option remains my favourite.

Satisfying breakfast!

The fish maw and fish paste option.

Chef Talk
Gave this diner a try for its Pakistani cuisine. Quiet place on the day of visit (i read other sites mentioning this place was often booked for company functions).

Rice mixed with fragrant Pakistani-style chicken.

Close up of the claypot.

Tambayan 
On one of the nights, i decided to try Filipino food.

Well marinated pork meat!

It tasted sweeter than it looks (much sweeter); this is leche flan.

Tiara Seafood Restaurant
I visited this eatery only once and my review of it will be just the Wa Tan Hor (Cantonese Kuay Teow). Sometimes, once is enough. To make you come back for more. I had a truly satisfying dinner here.

MN Kopitiam
Buzzing with morning crowd, i tried the dim sum and roasted pork noodle here.

Slight costly but delicious dim sum.


Siew yok (Roasted pork belly) always gets me- crispy skin, succulent meat and guilty fats.

Kedai Kopi Fong Seng
When looking around for new breakfast place, i noticed the huge number of people in this kopitiam, all waiting for this: pork noodle.

The noodles and the meat were okay, but the soup... amazing!

Senkawa Japanese Restaurant
A well-decorated place that brings you to Japan- the furniture, the waitress, the ambiance.

Chicken lunch set.

Restoran Wahyu Idaman & Catering
Located at Labuan Times Square (as The Chill Out Cafe, Tambayan and Twinkle Like Cafe), i returned to this shop for dinner, mostly for this:

Mee is not my first choice of noodles but the Mee Goreng here, i choose you.

Kedai Kopi Ceria
Fancy Soto dishes? This is one shop worth the (wait and) try. I read that it opens early for lunch and is usually sold out quick. So i was there before the crowd.

Three ladies behind the stall, whipping out the yum.

JJ Nazar
One of the bigger, local chain restaurants here, i cannot but give this a try. I found at least three in Town. However, i was not overly impressed.

Roti telur, may be not their best?

Welcome Lee Restaurant
I am surprised why this Chinese restaurant is not given much credit in travel sites- i frequent this restaurant. Their soups are tasty and the mains are not bad. It does get quite full especially when there are family gatherings.

Hot and spicy Szechuan soup to tempt the buds. 

Bouncy minced meat mixed.

Kedai Kopi Dragon & Phoenix
This kopitiam was full when i entered; i had to wait for table and i noticed on each one, there was either a Sarawak Laksa, Sarawak Kolo Mee, or Mee Basah. 

I went for Sarawak Laksa. What i found different here was the shrimpy, sambal belacan- which i liked. It was rough in texture but mixed with the soup for a smooth, satisfying breakfast.


Juggling between business and pleasure, discovering bit by bit what Labuan has to offer had been fun. More than just an oilfield town, with long stretches of beach and less touristy islands, upcoming cafes and eateries meet traditional restaurants, and its rich history, made me realize the potential this place has.

My Labuan Journey: A Little More Of Town Too

Comments